FACTS ABOUT AFRICA 1
FACTS ABOUT AFRICA
1. After Asia, Africa is the second largest continent, and it covers the area of about 22% of the total land area of the planet.
2. The total area of Africa is around 30 million kilometers square.
3. Africa is second driest continent in the world.
4. Africa is the hottest continent in the world.
5. There are 54 countries in Africa.
6. The largest country in Africa is Sudan and the smallest country is Seychelles.
7. Africa’s most populated city is Cairo, capital of Egypt.
8. Africa is world’s largest diamond producer, approximately more than 50 %of world production.
9. Africa has the largest hot desert in the world called, Sahara desert.
10. The Sahara desert covers as many as 10 countries of Africa.
11. The richest country in Africa is Equatorial Guinea.
12. At the starting of the 20th century, the almost entire territory of Africa was colonized but Ethiopia and Liberia were independent.
13. During second Congo War, more than 5.4 million people died- second highest causalities after World War II.
14. Between 15th and 19th centuries, around 7-12 millions of Africans were kidnapped and sold into slavery in America.
15. Many countries of Africa are on the list of top 25 poorest countries in the world.
16. The people of Africa follow Islamic or Christianity religion.
17. Nigeria is the fourth largest oil exporter in the world and the largest oil producer in Africa.
18. Africa has more than 30% of total earth’s mineral resources.
19. The world’s longest river, Nile flows in Africa.
20. The biggest African island is Madagascar.
21. The largest lake in Africa is Victoria Lake and it is a second largest freshwater lake in the world.
22. Africa population is more than 1 billion and is second most populated continent.
23. According to researchers, the human civilization started in Africa.
24. The total population of Africa is about 16% of total earth’s population.
25. In African countries, half of the population has not passed the age of 25 years.
26. There are more than 25 million HIV positive people in Africa and nearly 17 million people have already died from it.
27. Around 90% malaria cases occur in Africa and about 3,000 children die from it every day.
28. Approximately 40% of the population of Africa lacks secondary education.
29. The people of continent speak approximately 2000 languages.
30. Africa has the lowest life expectancy rate, men- 50 years and female- 48 years.
31. There are many rare species of plants and animals found in Africa like hippos, giraffes, and many others.
32. Hydnora Africana is an insectivorous plant grows only in Africa. The local people consume fruits of this plant.
33. More than 25% of bird species are in Africa.
34. The world’s largest land animal – an African elephant lives in Africa. It can weigh from 6 to 7 tons.
35. Lake Malawi, located in East Africa, contains the largest number of species of fish.
36. The world’s fastest animal, cheetah lives in Africa.
37. Some African tribes hunt hippos and serve it as food.
38. Africa is crossed by the equator and Prime Meridian, so it is most centrally located continent in the world.
39. Africa and Europe are separated by only 8.9 miles of ocean.
40. Arabic is the most common and spoken language, other languages like English, Swahili, French, and Hausa are second most popular languages.
41. The sand dunes of Sahara Desert can be as high as Eiffel Tower.
42. More than 90% of African soil is not suitable for agriculture.
43. Malnutrition is the main problem in Africa, around 240 million of Africans suffers from it.
44. The highest mountain in Africa – Kilimanjaro, it is a volcano.
45. Africa’s most deadly animal is a hippopotamus.
46. A country of Africa, Tanzania has the highest albinism rate. Albino children are attacked by the witchdoctors and cut their body parts to make tonics that they believe can heal diseases.
47. Africa’s most famous tourist destination is Egypt.
48. Soccer and cricket are Africa’s most popular sports.
49. Females of an African tribe, Mursi wears plates on their lips.
50. Africa has the world’s oldest university; the University of Karaouine, it is in Morocco.
51. Around 40% of the population of Africa is illiterate.
52. There is a tribe in Africa called “Kalenjins”; most of the fast runners come from there.
53. Wangari Maathai was the first African woman who was rewarded Noble Prize for peace.
54. Sudan has the highest number of pyramids in the world.
55. Experts say that there are at least 3,000 distinct ethnic groups in Africa.
56. There are more than 1 million Chinese citizens in Africa.
57. South Africa is the second largest fruit exporter in the world.
58. 40% of African children between the ages of 5 and 14 are forced to work.
59. People have to walk on an average 4 kilometers daily to get water.
60. Every day around 96 elephants are killed on the continent.